"Flytying Tools and Materials"
| Home | Flytyer's Bench | Book Shop | Salmon Flies | Tell a Friend | Trout Flies | Site Map | Web Search

Intro:This page shows a sneak preveiw of one page from within Jacqueline Wakeford's Flytying Tools and Materials . This allows you to see, online, a small sample from the inside of the book prior to purchasing, almost as if you had opened it in a book shop.
   This book is great for referencing materials and gives an insight into choosing better quality materials for your flies. After reading this book you should be able to choose the correct materials and avoid the rubbish that quite frankly many suppliers should throw in the bin.

Many thanks!

Purchase Jacqueline Wakeford's "Flytying Tools and Materials"



In flytying, the term hackle usually means a feather - most often from the neck region -from poultry. (But hackle feathers for some fly patterns can also come from a jay, starling or partridge, or from a few other birds, as shown under 'Hackle feathers from non-poultry birds' at the end of this chapter. It is also possible to form 'hackles' from fur fibres.)
   The name 'hackle' is also given to the part of the fly where hackle feathers are used. In many fly patterns, you wind a hackle feather around the hook, usually at the eye end of the dressing, to form a kind of collar of feather fibres radiating out from the hook shaft. The wound-on hackle is the key ingredient in the appearance of many flies. To the fish, the hackle fibres are similar to the legs and/or wings of the natural insect that the fly is intended to imitate.

Wet flies and dry flies

The two main categories of flies for trout fishing are dry flies (designed to float on the surface film, supported by their hackle fibres), and wet flies (designed to sink). Most dry flies depend on the stiffer, springier fibres from cock hackles to provide the necessary buoyancy. Most wet fly patterns use the softer hackle fibres from hen feathers; these fibres allow the fly to sink slowly as they wave about in the current, perhaps suggesting the leg movements of a drowning insect or an insect coming up to the surface.
   Of course, it's not quite as clear-cut as the last paragraph may suggest. Some cock hackles are soft enough to use in wet flies. And very occasionally you'll need a hen hackle for a dry fly, to make the fly sit in the surface tension, imitating a hatching insect.

   Now let's look in more detail at the different types of poultry hackle.

Purchase Jacqueline Wakeford's "Flytying Tools and Materials"

| Home | Flytyer's Bench | Book Shop | Salmon Flies | Tell a Friend | Trout Flies | Site Map | Web Search

[Top Of Page]